Legislative Updates for 2020
Current Legislation affecting Midwifery-Led care in Virginia
For a PDF of 2020 bills which the Affiliate supported and opposed, click here.
For questions related to current and up-coming legislation, contact Katie Page, CNM, VA ACNM President, 434-94-6937
Nichole Wardlaw, CNM, Affiliate Legislative Chair, 843-860-6971 or Julianne Condrey, Affiliate Legislative Liaison
- Click here for a great video on Midwifery Advocacy. It was made by the lobbyist for our sisters in the Virginia Midwives Alliance and has helpful information for ALL Virginia Midwives!
- Contact your national legislators to co-sponsor and support legislation!
Resources to Advocate for Midwifery-Led Care
- ACNM Advocacy Links
- Cost of Having a Baby Report provides compelling financial evidence for the need to support midwifery-led care as a significant catalyst of economic stewardship of health care spending.
- March of Dimes (Preterm Birth report card)
- AWHONN Perinatal Quality Measures Process The actions of nurses have a significant impact on patient outcomes; therefore, a vital component of improving health care is to measure the quality of nursing care. This resource links to Women's Health and Perinatal Nursing Care Quality (NCQ) measures by The Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN).
- Nursing Quality Measurement (AWHONN) Link to PDF download of AWHONN's position statement on nurse-sensitive quality. These are currently the recommended perinatal quality indicators proposed for adoption by the National Quality Forum Perinatal Measures.
- Quality Patient Care in Labor and Delivery: A Call to Action Link to the PDF white paper developed by SMFM, ACOG, ACOOG, AAFP, ACNM, AAP, and AWHONN supporting normal physiologic birth and patient-centered care.
- Transforming Communication and Safety Culture in Intrapartum Care: A Multi-Organization Blueprint Link to PDF download from the Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health.
- www.safehealthcareforeverywoma... Link to website developed by the Council on Patient Safety in Women's Health Care, who's mission is to continually improve patient safety in women’s health care through multidisciplinary collaboration that drives culture change.
- Click to view additional resources available in the Framework for Quality Improvement Resource Toolbox, or search our resource library by clicking here.